Chandler: This must be so hard. "Oh, no! Two women love me. They're both gorgeous and sexy . My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"
That line that the ever-sarcastic Chandler throws at Ross is a favorite of mine. Every time I am stuck in a seemingly difficult situation I recite this line to myself as a reminder of how good my life really is. "Think about it," I tell myself. "How many years did I long for a car that wouldn't randomly strand me on the freeway?" Now I have two. "How many years did I dream of having a house with a yard in Suburbia?" I loved every second we lived in that house. "How many years did I dream of finishing college?" I now proudly wear a class of 2009 class ring. However, I find myself dreaming about a BMW SUV, of selling my house in San Antonio, and getting a master's degree. I have achieved yesterdays dreams. Yesterday I thought having all of those things would make my life complete. Today I have a new set of dreams.
As I do mundane daily tasks, laundry, dishes, my mind wonders to how wonderful life will be in two years when Jason gets promoted and we are up for a (hopefully) big sign-on bonus. Just three weeks ago my mind was wandering to how wonderful life would be when Jason came home from Spain. Three months earlier I was dreaming of how nice it would be to live in base housing and have a new life and be settled. Three months prior I was wishing for OCS to be over. Three months before OCS I was dreaming of walking the graduation stage.... It's never ending. All that time has finally passed and still I am living in the future rather than appreciating my present.

Well, blogger friends, I'm here to say that I'm finished with that kind of thinking.
One of my unofficial resolutions for 2010 was to relish my accomplishments and enjoy what I already have rather than long for what I don't have. So today, as I was on hold waiting to speak with our financial advisor about future investments, I hung up the phone and chuckled to myself as the Ross/Chandler scene played in my head. My life may not be perfect, but I've got what I need--and that's ok--for now.

5 comments:
Good goal... but don't stop dreaming too. Dreams are what keep you ticking when life gets rough. :)
Very well said Erika!
Two thumbs up for this post. Love it!
Oh My gosh I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who watches too much friends! I find myself constatnyl comparing everything to Friends as well!! I feel like the biggest dork sometimes because something will happen and I find myself thinking about friends!! I just love it!!
That is so true! I'll start doing that as soon as I'm done wishing that packing was over and we were settled into a house with a big backyard and white cabinets! :)
Post a Comment