Sunday, January 24, 2010

Celebrity "Face" Off



Once and a while someone approaches me and asks me if I'm someone else. I usually pop off with some dumb comment like, "Well, is she hot?" Usually people get it right away and respond with, "Oh YES! Very hot!" I'd like to think they are telling the truth, that me and all the other girls who look like me are super hot. I'll restrain from commenting further on that. The point is, that I am always curious about what the other person looks like. What is it about them that looks like me and vice versa? And the even scarier question, if I saw them, would I think they are hot??? I think it would be embarrassing to be compared to someone I didn't even consider my equal, not to mention the blow my self-esteem would inevitably take. I would spend that night standing in front of the mirror sizing myself up, plucking random hairs from my eyebrows, and wishing I had fuller lips and less butt--wishing I looked like a celebrity.

I went to a church camp when I was younger called EFY, Especially For Youth. It's a great program for Mormon kids; I highly recommend it. Some of the best times I had in my life I had at EFY. One of the weeks I was there the leaders held a look-alike contest to see which kids looked like celebrities. I'll never forget the girl who won. She was the spitting image of Sandra Bullock. And I was SO jealous. I mean, seriously. When it comes to looks, is there any higher compliment than to be told by 400 teenagers that you resemble a celebrity who has been professionally make-uped, plastic surgified, and probably graphic designed out of any flaw? Since then I have wondered: WHICH CELEBRITY DO I LOOK LIKE?

A few years ago (during a brief lapse of judgement) I opened a myspace account. One of the many applications I ran across on myspace was a celebrity look-alike wheel. So, I eagerly plugged in what I thought was a nice picture of myself. Guess who it came up with. Just try. You'll never get it. At least I hope you never get it! Macaulay Calkin. I refuse to believe that I look like the prepubescent Home Alone actor. I just refuse. There must have been some kind of glitch or maybe I used a bad picture. SOMETHING. MACAULAY CALKIN!!
Over time (and more than a few plucked eyebrow hairs), I forgot all about "the Macaulay Incident," as I like to refer to it. However, this week some of my friends on Facebook are posting pics of celebrity look-alikes. So far the ones I have seen are pretty good! But I feel left out because I don't have a celebrity look-alike. I have never found one. Someone once told me that they thought I resemble Kate Hudson who I would LOVE to look like.
However, I told someone else that, and they said they didn't see it. Insensitive moron. That aside, realistically, I realize it's unlikely that I look anything like Kate Hudson. So, glutton for punishment that I am, I googled, "Which celebrity do I look like?" The first result was another celebrity generator from Heritage something or rather. I decided to give it a go. The first time, I got no result. Desperate, I tried another picture. That time it showed me Dannii Minogue. I had to admit; the picture of Dannii that came up did look a little like me. (I can't find that picture--it was one of her older ones). Encouraged, I then Googled more pics of Dannii Minogue. Um, not even close. Major fail.
I didn't see one part of me in her. So, back to the look-alike generator I went with a new pic. The third time? No results. I give up. Apparently there are other people in the world who look like me, but not celebrities. Huh. Maybe I should just be grateful that the second look-alike generator didn't tell me I still look like Macaulay Calkin. *shudder*

1 comment:

Loni said...

Lol, you're hilarious! The first and only celebrity look-alike I did gave me a 95% match with some dude named Jensen Ackles. Yeah, I haven't been back since.
Your blog gave me tons of great laughs, thanks!