
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! I woke up this morning all excited to see how the city would celebrate. I thought I would watch the celebration on TV--but there was no celebration. In fact, there was no mention of MLK Jr. day on any morning TV show. Plus, for a federal holiday, not many places seem to be closed. Jas and I ran our errands this morning with no trouble. We expected lots of traffic, because surely people were off of work, but nope. The roads were completely clear. I called my mom to hear that although school was out and she didn't have students, she still had to be at school for a work day.
That doesn't sound very holidayish to me!
While having stores open and very little traffic seems like a bonus, I couldn't help but feel a little irritated at the lack of enthusiasm and respect for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The nation has fought a long and miserable battle against oppression, racism, and discrimination. Martin Luther King Jr. not only played an integral role in the progress we have made as a nation, his image symbolizes the civil rights movement. So, to blow off his day of tribute is like blowing off the civil rights movement itself.
MLK Jr. day ought to be the day when we as a nation reflect upon our progression toward equality for all peoples and celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy. Remembering him and the events of the civil rights movement is a crucial step in teaching our children to learn from the mistakes of the past and further evolve into a society that accepts and even celebrates all ethnicities.

2 comments:
Hey how are things? SO I havent checked my blog forever. But you asked if we used a travel agent and we did my husbands company has one so we used her. I could give you her number if you would like. She does a great job.
Yes, I agree! and HMLK day to you too!
Post a Comment