Somehow I developed a small (ish) obsession with Twilight. I'm not sure how this happened, exactly. I read the books for the first time over Christmas break, 2008. Granted I was rushing to get through them because I knew if I didn't finish them by the end of the break I wouldn't have a chance to get back to them because of school. But I didn't like them much. Maybe it was the high-falutin' literature and grammar classes I was taking, but somehow then I saw the series for what the rational side of my brain still considers it to be: not-so-well-written fluff.
So, WHY suddenly can't I stop thinking about Edward and Bella? WHY do I go to sleep wishing I was immortal? WHY did I buy the soundtrack to both Twilight and Eclipse? WHY did I place an Edward gadget on my blog? WHY did I add a Twilight app to my iphone?! And perhaps most shocking of all: WHY do I have a calendar of Edward--er RPatz-- hanging in my pantry??
What is it about Twilight that appeals to such a wide audience? What is it about Twilight that has ME so enamored? I wish I could pinpoint it. Perhaps it's because the storyline portrays an unlikely love story: A perfect, beautiful immortal being who could choose anyone in the human or vampire world to be with, yet he chooses Bella, an imperfect, awkward, only marginally beautiful mortal with incredible nose appeal. Or maybe the charm comes from a falsely idealized, concept of immortality (which Edward spends the whole third book, Eclipse, trying desperately to explain to Bella). Or maybe the the romanticized idea of fate creates the fascination with a world where there are vegetarian vampires. Surely fate brought Bella to Edward. Afterall, she's his "song," as we learn in Eclipse. Surely if fate brought those two star-crossed lovers together, fate can either bring lonely people their soul mates (mortal or otherwise), or it has already joined those of us who are married to our soul mates. The mystery of fate has long been a subject for romantic intrigues.
Originally, according to Stephenie Meyer, the series was written for teens. Yet, somehow it appeals to women of all ages. Even my five year old is smitten with Edward (mostly because he can climb trees and run fast, but whatever). When Jason was deployed, Twilight became my favorite movie. I watched it constantly--I should also say that I don't have cable, so my viewing options are somewhat limited. Now that he's home I don't get to watch it as often. He's even banned discussing anything about Edward at the dinner table--one of the funnier moments of my life.
Anyway, I'm so super excited for New Moon on dvd in a few days that I can barely stand it. I saw it twice in theaters, not to mention I've read the book (all of the books) three or four times, yet here I am, waiting with bated breath, for New Moon to finally be released so I can torture my husband by having a Twilight party. :)
WHO'S IN?!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
So... how has the "table ban" worked with A's little friend at school also being named Edward? :D
Luckily she doesn't talk about him very much LOL... That moment was seriously hilarious. I thought I would die laughing!
hee hee...awwww I know EXACTLY how you feel...
I'm in! When is it? (Did it already happen :( ?)
Post a Comment